• Cambios en el aspecto y funcionamiento del foro. Ver detalles

Interesting video on MJ's voice progression (lets discuss it!)

FMJP

HideOuter Senior

Here I've attached a video where the guy explains Michael's voice as he aged. For those that don't want to watch the video (it is rather long at about 17 minutes) heres the main points:

-Michael's high speaking voice quite possibly could be a result of the physical abuse he suffered as a child (among other factors like a stylistic choice)
- Because he continued singing through puberty and got no break and wasn't able to pause and let his voice develop naturally, his vocal growth was stunted
- Singers usually have 15-20 years of their prime singing, so basically, the video says he maxed out at about 21-22 (when Off The Wall came out) and because of that, we never got to really hear Michael's full adult vocal capabilities- granted he still sounded amazing, just not what we could have heard if he had been given the right treatment as a teen
- Most of his songs as an adult tended to stay in a four note octave/ range, and his shows became more about a spectacle rather than about the singing (focused on the dance over the voice)
- His raspy voice as he aged is partially a result from the damage done from his vocal forming years- (however I believe it was also partially a stylistic choice.)
- His studio albums rely on vocal layering so his voice isn't required to exert as much force
- His physical health really played a major role in his singing ability

If I missed any points let me know, but thats the brief summary of the video. What are your guys' thoughts. I think its kind of interesting we technically (by the logic in the video) didn't see Michael's adult voice at its full potential. Although I'd argue that we got close
ex: Earth Song, the BAD album where his voice is very powerful, Elizabeth I love you).
His singing voice got progressively thinner through the years, although he never sounded bad persay, he definitely sounded weathered,
Ex: compare WBSS remix vocals with the original vocals, he sounds nearly identical as in 82' but his voice sounds thinner
My thoughts on this are basically: Good perspective, definitely something I had never though about in perspective with his live singing and his overall singing voice (and with the stuff about the fake high voice), but some of his vocal nuances such as the rasp I feel were in part choices he made to imitate his idols like James Brown. What do you all think?
- Please let me know if I sound like one of those MJ fans to over-analyze things or who misunderstand some ideas and concepts entirely (haha)

Here I've attached a video where the guy explains Michael's voice as he aged. For those that don't want to watch the video (it is rather long at about 17 minutes) heres the main points:

-Michael's high speaking voice quite possibly could be a result of the physical abuse he suffered as a child (among other factors like a stylistic choice)
- Because he continued singing through puberty and got no break and wasn't able to pause and let his voice develop naturally, his vocal growth was stunted
- Singers usually have 15-20 years of their prime singing, so basically, the video says he maxed out at about 21-22 (when Off The Wall came out) and because of that, we never got to really hear Michael's full adult vocal capabilities- granted he still sounded amazing, just not what we could have heard if he had been given the right treatment as a teen
- Most of his songs as an adult tended to stay in a four note octave/ range, and his shows became more about a spectacle rather than about the singing (focused on the dance over the voice)
- His raspy voice as he aged is partially a result from the damage done from his vocal forming years- (however I believe it was also partially a stylistic choice.)
- His studio albums rely on vocal layering so his voice isn't required to exert as much force
- His physical health really played a major role in his singing ability

If I missed any points let me know, but thats the brief summary of the video. What are your guys' thoughts. I think its kind of interesting we technically (by the logic in the video) didn't see Michael's adult voice at its full potential. Although I'd argue that we got close
ex: Earth Song, the BAD album where his voice is very powerful, Elizabeth I love you).
His singing voice got progressively thinner through the years, although he never sounded bad persay, he definitely sounded weathered,
Ex: compare WBSS remix vocals with the original vocals, he sounds nearly identical as in 82' but his voice sounds thinner
My thoughts on this are basically: Good perspective, definitely something I had never though about in perspective with his live singing and his overall singing voice (and with the stuff about the fake high voice), but some of his vocal nuances such as the rasp I feel were in part choices he made to imitate his idols like James Brown. What do you all think?
- Please let me know if I sound like one of those MJ fans to over-analyze things or who misunderstand some ideas and concepts entirely (haha)
This video must be transcripted.

In the History era he lost his sings ability, i think this is because he dont have really good physical conditions to sing and dance like the Bad or Dangerous Tour.

FMJP

HideOuter Senior
In the History era he lost his sings ability, i think this is because he dont have really good physical conditions to sing and dance like the Bad or Dangerous Tour.
Yeah, because of other facors (i'm pretty sure he had a burst lung-but don't quote me on that) like the afformentioned, age and his physical health, his live singing voice wasn't anywhere near what it once was especially when he was so focused on replicating the original sounds of his records. However look at the video of him singing HTW in the Bahamas in 99, he sounds close to the record (further showing me why I think that song should have always been sung live but anyway), he doesn't sound bad, so I don't think he "lost" the ability to sing live, I think that it became more difficult for him to sing the songs in their original key and dance at the same time without sounding fatigued or extra raspy.

Yeah, because of other facors (i'm pretty sure he had a burst lung-but don't quote me on that) like the afformentioned, age and his physical health, his live singing voice wasn't anywhere near what it once was especially when he was so focused on replicating the original sounds of his records. However look at the video of him singing HTW in the Bahamas in 99, he sounds close to the record (further showing me why I think that song should have always been sung live but anyway), he doesn't sound bad, so I don't think he "lost" the ability to sing live, I think that it became more difficult for him to sing the songs in their original key and dance at the same time without sounding fatigued or extra raspy.
I think is due to the lupus and he dont have a good shape in the HTW, if he would be more health on this era i guess his live voice would sound so better.

He can sing good but when he are not dancing, a clear example is the ending of Earth Song in Brunei.

I think is due to the lupus and he dont have a good shape in the HTW, if he would be more health on this era i guess his live voice would sound so better.

He can sing good but when he are not dancing, a clear example is the ending of Earth Song in Brunei.
His voice started to decline since the summer of 1993.

You can notice that by watching DWT concerts in Chili and Mexico

His voice started to decline since the summer of 1993.

You can notice that by watching DWT concerts in Chili and Mexico
In LA shows in 1993 his health was deteriorate.

In early 97 shows his voice is pretty good to me.

If he did'nt perform in the Royal Concert he would be a lot of playback in the HTW? Or would be like a DWT?

FMJP

HideOuter Senior
In LA shows in 1993 his health was deteriorate.

In early 97 shows his voice is pretty good to me.

If he did'nt perform in the Royal Concert he would be a lot of playback in the HTW? Or would be like a DWT?
It probably would have been more or less the same as far as playback goes. I can't imagine that that one show where only half of it was sung live made much of an impact when he also had the rest of the HWT rehearsals to attend. What do you mean by LA shows in 93? Do you mean the rehearsals? I will say that his voice is much more hoarse in the 93 leg of the Dangerous tour, not sure why. Maybe because a majority of the songs pitches were lowered (WBSS, Billie Jean, J5 Medley) and since he's singing down an octave or two from what we're used too, it sounds more rough than usual because he reached into his lower range?

It probably would have been more or less the same as far as playback goes. I can't imagine that that one show where only half of it was sung live made much of an impact when he also had the rest of the HWT rehearsals to attend. What do you mean by LA shows in 93? Do you mean the rehearsals? I will say that his voice is much more hoarse in the 93 leg of the Dangerous tour, not sure why. Maybe because a majority of the songs pitches were lowered (WBSS, Billie Jean, J5 Medley) and since he's singing down an octave or two from what we're used too, it sounds more rough than usual because he reached into his lower range?
I talk of the Latinoamerican Leg.

The pitch on BJ in 93 dont be lowered, in Argentina you can see he tries to sang it in high notes.

In Brunei is clearly lowered pitch, but some lyrics was in high notes "people always told me"

Probably in the rehearsals he could see he cant sang and dance like the old times.

In this perfomance without playback you can see he not dance like the other perfomances, he was focused on sing with loss the breath.

Some people says affter the Royal Concert he decides to do playback in all the tour.

In his last tour he not sangs, probably for this reason on TII he want to sangs more live for his fans and to not dissapoint his children.