• Cambios en el aspecto y funcionamiento del foro. Ver detalles

Pregunta Clarification: How many mixes of "Don't Let a Woman (Make A Fool Out Of You)" are there with MJ? (And how to get both of them?)

Maxym

HideOuter Senior
In the past I used to own the album "Synapse Gap (Mundo Total)" by Joe "King" Carrasco And The Crowns featuring vocals by Michael Jackson on track 3 "Don't Let A Woman (Make A Fool Out Of You)". ( https://www.discogs.com/master/305010-Joe-King-Carrasco-And-The-Crowns-Synapse-Gap-Mundo-Total )

Warning: I know that there mixes/versions of the song where MJ is not heard at all, I am NOT talking about these mixes, only mix(es) including MJ.
  • In my memories, Michael could be clearly heard singing the choruses.
  • Recently I bought the band's "Anthology" CD which has that song. Surprise: I found MJ's voice buried under the band's singer's voice. (Then I thought that for some reason they had to cover Michael's voice...)
  • I randomly bought a 1982 7'' promo of the song, same mix... I started to think that this mix was a specific 7'' mix.
  • So I bought a new copy of the 12'' album... and... same mix.

Somebody who I showed what I thought was the original album mix using a YouTube link told me that that version were fan-edited. *

I was convinced that I had an old rip of the album of that other album version... but I actually don't find it back... so maybe I had not saved it in archives.
Finally, I ripped the new copy I of the album that I now own ... the label says 3:49 ... but the track is actually ~3:30, not 3:49, same as "7'' mix", same as the the mix I find every. (Then this leads me to wonder if there was some track exchange on some copies of the album without changing the labels.)

I started thinking that my brain made up a memory a version "where Michael is clearly heard singing the choruses" because of the YouTube mixes?
On the other hand, this memory is so strong, I can even remember hesitating to sort it in "Vocals" or "Duets" (yeah I know it's "Vocals")

So:
  • Are there different mixes involving Michael?
  • Are those YouTube versions fan-edited? *
  • If not, how to identify a record with that other mix (the mix where MJ is clearly heard solo-ing the choruses) ?

* This version where Michael's voice can be heard singing the choruses, is it fake?

In the past I used to own the album "Synapse Gap (Mundo Total)" by Joe "King" Carrasco And The Crowns featuring vocals by Michael Jackson on track 3 "Don't Let A Woman (Make A Fool Out Of You)". ( https://www.discogs.com/master/305010-Joe-King-Carrasco-And-The-Crowns-Synapse-Gap-Mundo-Total )

Warning: I know that there mixes/versions of the song where MJ is not heard at all, I am NOT talking about these mixes, only mix(es) including MJ.
  • In my memories, Michael could be clearly heard singing the choruses.
  • Recently I bought the band's "Anthology" CD which has that song. Surprise: I found MJ's voice buried under the band's singer's voice. (Then I thought that for some reason they had to cover Michael's voice...)
  • I randomly bought a 1982 7'' promo of the song, same mix... I started to think that this mix was a specific 7'' mix.
  • So I bought a new copy of the 12'' album... and... same mix.

Somebody who I showed what I thought was the original album mix using a YouTube link told me that that version were fan-edited. *

I was convinced that I had an old rip of the album of that other album version... but I actually don't find it back... so maybe I had not saved it in archives.
Finally, I ripped the new copy I of the album that I now own ... the label says 3:49 ... but the track is actually ~3:30, not 3:49, same as "7'' mix", same as the the mix I find every. (Then this leads me to wonder if there was some track exchange on some copies of the album without changing the labels.)

I started thinking that my brain made up a memory a version "where Michael is clearly heard singing the choruses" because of the YouTube mixes?
On the other hand, this memory is so strong, I can even remember hesitating to sort it in "Vocals" or "Duets" (yeah I know it's "Vocals")

So:
  • Are there different mixes involving Michael?
  • Are those YouTube versions fan-edited? *
  • If not, how to identify a record with that other mix (the mix where MJ is clearly heard solo-ing the choruses) ?

* This version where Michael's voice can be heard singing the choruses, is it fake?
The edited version I created 10 years ago:

It's completely fan-edited, since It was mixed by myself. The YouTube Link version that you provided is a copy of my version..

Hello, as far as I know the album was released in January 1982. According to the record of the DISCOG page, it was released in UK and USA singles and in 1985 in France was released a single of this song whose cover is this one.

ZWc.jpeg

In Spain, it was released a year later in 86 with this cover.
ZWc.jpeg

According to what Xtarlight told me at the time, in the Spanish single you couldn't hear MJ's vocals because the Spanish single belonged to a different record company than the French one, which in the French one you can hear MJ and the Spanish one didn't have the rights or permissions from Epic to use MJ's vocals. Maybe that's the explanation for what you say that it seems that for some reason they were trying to cover MJ's voice.

Maxym

HideOuter Senior
Maybe that's the explanation for what you say that it seems that for some reason they were trying to cover MJ's voice.

I though of stuff like that... but on the other hand, I was looking for a version where is head VERY WELL... like he's singing the choruses solo... I had memories that I owned this version in the past on the album... But apparently that one is fan made.

Then I agree that depending on version (from discs or the internet), sometimes MJ's voice seems even more buried under Carrasco's voice... not too sure though, I'm not comparing right now.

Regarding version without MJ, I think that there's also a version on another record where the song was completely re-recorded. And I wonder if there weren't versions before the 1982 version. Because the label of the 7'' promo I now own states something like "copyright 1973".

Also weirdly, the album released in 1982 states something like "copyright 1980" ... not too sure when it was recorded.

Well, now you have left me a little doubtful. I was writing posts on my facebook in 2019 with MJ related topics and the information I have is that the album was in 1982. There may have been a version recorded earlier, if your label says 1973, but the MJ version was after "off the wall" they must have recorded it when the Jacksons were in the studio recording the Triumph album because if I remember correctly Xtarlight once told an anecdote that MJ was there by the studio and Carrasco said something like if he would like to record something with him it was going to be a moment or something like that. MJ apparently in his spare time, instead of being with his brothers he was hanging around the soda machine area and I think, if I'm wrong and Xtarlight reads this correct me, that it was Carrasco who was using a walkman and that MJ said he had never seen one and that Carrasco lent it to him and the cassette inside was OFF THE WALL and that MJ was listening to his own album until he gave it back to him, hahaha.

Maxym

HideOuter Senior
Xtarlight's anecdote you're telling is what I always heard... with more details though. If MJ recorded "instead" of being with his brothers... Could it be during the recording of Triumph?

Regarding the label stating 1973, the version on record is with MJ so definitely 1980+ . I assumed that the song maybe had already been published/registered to the record company in the past OR that the label was misprint. I didn't do real research about versions without MJ though.

Xtarlight's anecdote you're telling is what I always heard... with more details though. If MJ recorded "instead" of being with his brothers... Could it be during the recording of Triumph?

Regarding the label stating 1973, the version on record is with MJ so definitely 1980+ . I assumed that the song maybe had already been published/registered to the record company in the past OR that the label was misprint. I didn't do real research about versions without MJ though.
Yes, yes, I mentioned before that the recording had to be Triumph, because after Off the wall is the album that the Jacksons recorded between off the wall and thriller. The story I heard from Xtarlight also had more detail but I don't remember very well and made a little summary.