• Cambios en el aspecto y funcionamiento del foro. Ver detalles

Random questions/ thoughts I have- mainly concerning playback and TII

Michael Prince Interview on the MJcast. Thats the most revealing which heard about TII. He talks about it for like an hour and also included the confirmed final setlist. Great watch
What song do you think he would sing? I mean in your own opinion.

I think he will sang dirty diana, stranger in moscow, Wbbs, J5 medley, Off The Wall Medley, Human Nature.

Compare to the History Tour is too much :v

FMJP

HideOuter Senior
Michael Prince Interview on the MJcast. Thats the most revealing which heard about TII. He talks about it for like an hour and also included the confirmed final setlist. Great watch
I've just been able to catch up on this whole thread, damn y'all covered a lot of ground, but ya, after reading everything you said; I'm convinced he totally could have done the TII residency, 2 days on average a week where he does shows between July and March, with breaks frequently, I feel he would have been able to do the shows. But really only if he had gotten help for his drug problems.
Here's my thoughts as to what would have been live in TII/ Lip synced (let me know what your thoughts on this are):

WBSS-live
Don't Stop/ RWY- Live
Jam- Hard to say bc I'm pretty sure based on the audio editing in the film it was rehearsed live but it was also rehearsed live for the DWT, but I'm gonna say playback
TDCAU-lip synced
Human Nature-Live
SIM- lip synced (or live, can't determine this one either)
Smooth Criminal- was rehearsed live (possibly the chorus' were playback)
TWYMMF- Early rehearsal audio from June show live vocals but June 23rd has playback until before the dance break so I'd say mostly playback
J5 Medley- Live
IJCSLY-Live
Dangerous- Lip synced (maybe the spoken part live, but we have next to no info on this song so thats my guess)
Black or White- Live
Dirty Diana- Live
Beat it- maybe playback like on HWT
Thriller- Hard to say aswell, the red shirt rehearsal at the forum looked live (based on lip movements)
Earth Song- based on the audio editing in this one aswell, I'm inclined to believe this was rehearsed live aswell with maybe the playback coming in during the "what about us" part
HTW- I'd assume he probably would use playback on this one
Will You Be There- the only audio we have has live vocals, so I'd guess this was to be live (?)
You are Not Alone- Not sure about this one, because of that, I'd go with the safe guess of playback til' the usual time as on the HWT
Billie Jean- based on the editing from the film, this looks like it was rehearsed live, so I'd say it was live
MITM- he usually lip synced this until the bridge, in the film it looks like its live based on lip movements again, bc we also don't have other info on the rehearsals of this song, or alternate audio, I'm inclined to say it was playback

a majority of this is speculation so if anyone knows any better info, or more informed thoughts than I please lmk. This would come to a total of 71% live based on my theorization (% of a song live/ total songs), which is better than HWT's like 20%. I'd be curious to hear his live vocals from the rehearsals, even if they weren't full out. One things I've read on the forum about songs being cut from the film is for time restraints, so I'm sure they used songs that were more commonly known over songs the average music listener might not know (WYBT), although the logic there doesn't apply to the OTW medley or DD, the reasoning for those songs is that probably there isn't much footage of MJ in rehearsal for these songs, and if there is he might not be singing, with Dirty Diana I'm unsure of how many runs of the song they got (with MJ) if they were unable to show it in the film.

I've just been able to catch up on this whole thread, damn y'all covered a lot of ground, but ya, after reading everything you said; I'm convinced he totally could have done the TII residency, 2 days on average a week where he does shows between July and March, with breaks frequently, I feel he would have been able to do the shows. But really only if he had gotten help for his drug problems.
Here's my thoughts as to what would have been live in TII/ Lip synced (let me know what your thoughts on this are):

WBSS-live
Don't Stop/ RWY- Live
Jam- Hard to say bc I'm pretty sure based on the audio editing in the film it was rehearsed live but it was also rehearsed live for the DWT, but I'm gonna say playback
TDCAU-lip synced
Human Nature-Live
TWYMMF- Early rehearsal audio from June show live vocals but June 23rd has playback until before the dance break so I'd say mostly playback
J5 Medley- Live
IJCSLY-Live
Dangerous- Lip synced (maybe the spoken part live, but we have next to no info on this song so thats my guess)
Black or White- Live
Dirty Diana- Live
Thriller- Hard to say aswell, the red shirt rehearsal at the forum looked live (based on lip movements)
Earth Song- based on the audio editing in this one aswell, I'm inclined to believe this was rehearsed live aswell with maybe the playback coming in during the "what about us" part
Will You Be There- the only audio we have has live vocals, so I'd guess this was to be live (?)
You are Not Alone- Not sure about this one, because of that, I'd go with the safe guess of playback til' the usual time as on the HWT
Billie Jean- based on the editing from the film, this looks like it was rehearsed live, so I'd say it was live
MITM- he usually lip synced this until the bridge, in the film it looks like its live based on lip movements again, bc we also don't have other info on the rehearsals of this song, or alternate audio, I'm inclined to say it was playback

a majority of this is speculation so if anyone knows any better info, or more informed thoughts than I please lmk. This would come to a total of 71% live based on my theorization (% of a song live/ total songs), which is better than HWT's like 20%. I'd be curious to hear his live vocals from the rehearsals, even if they weren't full out. One things I've read on the forum about songs being cut from the film is for time restraints, so I'm sure they used songs that were more commonly known over songs the average music listener might not know (WYBT), although the logic there doesn't apply to the OTW medley or DD, the reasoning for those songs is that probably there isn't much footage of MJ in rehearsal for these songs, and if there is he might not be singing, with Dirty Diana I'm unsure of how many runs of the song they got (with MJ) if they were unable to show it in the film.
I’m gonna agree with you on most. I think, off my memory of what Michael prince said, the songs you’ve put down for complete playback would’ve had like sections live and sections playback. That’s how he described don’t stop. So I’d imagine that’d be how most playback would play out. Even like they don’t care about us. It is small but in the prison dance version, imo, the last part (where the just did the ho’s instead of the actual lyrics) is all playback from the multi tracks apart from the last one “ho ho ho” which if you listen carefully sounds completely live so I think that was actually from the real rehearsal.
Anyway. Going from the plan you seemed to be using I just wanted to put my 2 cents in,

smooth criminal- if it was live, I think it’d be like the movie. A mix of live and playback

dangerous - I agree, playback. Don’t think he would’ve done anything live. From Ostend to even the dangerous rehearsals from 93, he sounds shitty doing it live in my opinion.

Dirty Diana - I’m really on the edge about this one. Yeah, it’s never been playback so if he wanted to sing more live, I don’t see him added new songs in a playback form but in saying that..... from his voice... I personally don’t see it being anywhere near as strong enough to perform live. So I’m unsure.

beat it- I’d actually like to say live on this one tbh. I’ve got a suspicion he was only gonna perform the first verse live from looking at June 23rd. He takes the trench coat off and it looks like it is in the section it is in the movie so idk. But if I am right. One verse, while doing basically nothing on a cherry picker, I reckon he could pull off.

thriller - I’m inclined to say was going to be lip sync actually. Personally I think it was lip synced in the rehearsal we saw but I haven’t watched and definitely not studied it in so long, I can’t say 100% but idk.... I just see him sticking to playback for that one

earth song- No idea whether it was rehearsed playback on red shirt or not.
But..... I would like to believe it’d be live apart from the what about us section but.... if it isn’t complete playback, it’d probably be the verses live, the Chorus (can you call them that hahahahah) playback, and then yeah, what about us playback.

Heal - Not sure, I personally think he could’ve pulled this off live. But can’t say 100%

wybt - incorrect. The only audio we have with any vocals, the vocals were just the speech thingy at the end if I’m remembering correctly. So I’m actually inclined to say playback and in a completely different stance than how I think playback was gonna work, I think it was gonna be exactly how dangerous tours was.

yana- Fuck knowsssssssss. I wanna say completely playback but maybe it would’ve been live till the long “in my heart” at the end, or maybe he would’ve done it completely live and pulled a Prague and completely skipped the “in my heart”

Billie Jean - same as thriller, I think it would’ve been playback tbh. Maybe choruses and ablibs live. I don’t see it being completely live tho.

mitm - Not sure. Probably verses live and hooks and chorus’s playback and ab libs ofc

yayyyyyyyyy, I’m doneeeeeee.
Also, is no one gonna congratulate me on finally, since 2016, actually using the forum other than to get material so I’ve finally reached hideouter senior. I’m actually really proud 🤣🤣🤣

WBSS-live
Don't Stop/ RWY- Live
TDCAU-lip synced
Human Nature-Live
J5 Medley- Live
IJCSLY-Live
Black or White- Live
Dirty Diana- Live

Where are the WYB live vocals???

Edit: in The Bad Usa Leg, the chorus in Smooth Criminal are playback but Michael sangs live.

Also curiously Chorus of Bad was sang live, while in the DWT rehearsals are playback and the vocals of Michael are live.

Última edición:
I’m gonna agree with you on most. I think, off my memory of what Michael prince said, the songs you’ve put down for complete playback would’ve had like sections live and sections playback. That’s how he described don’t stop. So I’d imagine that’d be how most playback would play out. Even like they don’t care about us. It is small but in the prison dance version, imo, the last part (where the just did the ho’s instead of the actual lyrics) is all playback from the multi tracks apart from the last one “ho ho ho” which if you listen carefully sounds completely live so I think that was actually from the real rehearsal.
Anyway. Going from the plan you seemed to be using I just wanted to put my 2 cents in,

smooth criminal- if it was live, I think it’d be like the movie. A mix of live and playback

dangerous - I agree, playback. Don’t think he would’ve done anything live. From Ostend to even the dangerous rehearsals from 93, he sounds shitty doing it live in my opinion.

Dirty Diana - I’m really on the edge about this one. Yeah, it’s never been playback so if he wanted to sing more live, I don’t see him added new songs in a playback form but in saying that..... from his voice... I personally don’t see it being anywhere near as strong enough to perform live. So I’m unsure.

beat it- I’d actually like to say live on this one tbh. I’ve got a suspicion he was only gonna perform the first verse live from looking at June 23rd. He takes the trench coat off and it looks like it is in the section it is in the movie so idk. But if I am right. One verse, while doing basically nothing on a cherry picker, I reckon he could pull off.

thriller - I’m inclined to say was going to be lip sync actually. Personally I think it was lip synced in the rehearsal we saw but I haven’t watched and definitely not studied it in so long, I can’t say 100% but idk.... I just see him sticking to playback for that one

earth song- No idea whether it was rehearsed playback on red shirt or not.
But..... I would like to believe it’d be live apart from the what about us section but.... if it isn’t complete playback, it’d probably be the verses live, the Chorus (can you call them that hahahahah) playback, and then yeah, what about us playback.

Heal - Not sure, I personally think he could’ve pulled this off live. But can’t say 100%

wybt - incorrect. The only audio we have with any vocals, the vocals were just the speech thingy at the end if I’m remembering correctly. So I’m actually inclined to say playback and in a completely different stance than how I think playback was gonna work, I think it was gonna be exactly how dangerous tours was.

yana- Fuck knowsssssssss. I wanna say completely playback but maybe it would’ve been live till the long “in my heart” at the end, or maybe he would’ve done it completely live and pulled a Prague and completely skipped the “in my heart”

Billie Jean - same as thriller, I think it would’ve been playback tbh. Maybe choruses and ablibs live. I don’t see it being completely live tho.

mitm - Not sure. Probably verses live and hooks and chorus’s playback and ab libs ofc

yayyyyyyyyy, I’m doneeeeeee.
Also, is no one gonna congratulate me on finally, since 2016, actually using the forum other than to get material so I’ve finally reached hideouter senior. I’m actually really proud 🤣🤣🤣
If this can help you, in one HTW before to the show in Helsinki he try to sang this part

45:47

It's a shame this concert are dont leake it, it's better than Gotenburg in mi opinion.

PD: The firts verse on 23 june was not sang live is only a playback 2.0, i think this was a playback prove because he not sang even the ad-libs

If this can help you, in one HTW before to the show in Helsinki he try to sang this part

45:47

It's a shame this concert are dont leake it, it's better than Gotenburg in mi opinion.

PD: The firts verse on 23 june was not sang live is only a playback 2.0, i think this was a playback prove because he not sang even the ad-libs
Estonia Just sounds like tape distortion to me tbh, although I can see why you’d think it’s live.
Cant say either for a fact tho.
as for June 23rd, assuming you’re speaking of beat it??? If so, you can’t really tell what he sung live. They only shown about 10 seconds from the 23rd. They cut it to where it never shown the ablibs

Where are the WYB live vocals???

Edit: in The Bad Usa Leg, the chorus in Smooth Criminal are playback but Michael sangs live.

Also curiously Chorus of Bad was sang live, while in the DWT rehearsals are playback and the vocals of Michael are live.
I think he’s talking about the speech. That’s all we have from wybt

Smooth criminal in hartford chorus was live. It seemed to just be using michaels backing vocals

I’m really confused. Most people here refer to Michael lip syncing his vocals live as playback.
what are you calling playback?? Him performing bad in dwt rehearsals was completely live

FMJP

HideOuter Senior

Smooth criminal in hartford chorus was live. It seemed to just be using michaels backing vocals

I’m really confused. Most people here refer to Michael lip syncing his vocals live as playback.
what are you calling playback?? Him performing bad in dwt rehearsals was completely live
Some people definitely over complicate things and get certain things confused, I'm definitely an offender of this (lol), but ya, IDK where some people pull their definition of playback.

Going back to the TII playback:
Dirty Diana: I am very unsure of Diana, and whether it was gonna be sung live or not. BC on the one hand it has always been live, but then again he hadn't sung it since 1988 (when it was dropped from the BWT setlist), unless he sang it in an early HWT rehearsal (when it was still on the setlist). You do make a good point however about his vocal power, because its a very powerful song especially on the chorus', buuuuut he also sang it quite different from the record on the BWT, so I'm not sure really (going in circles lol)
Beat it: I feel this would have been either playback until partway through the song or fully live. Your theory about live vocals on the first verse is interesting though. I wonder (going on a stretch here) if the reason the second verse was cut from the film was because the switch from live vocals to playback was too obvious (again just making a fan theory here, don't have real evidence behind it). But ya, I feel most likely is it would have been a mix of live/ playback.
Smooth Criminal: HMM ya this probably would have been a mix of the two, I feel like the chorus' would have been playback and the verses and other stuff live, listening to the center channel here too also proved that this was definitely rehearsed live to some degree, but his vocals cut out at the chorus' pretty consistently whereas the verses cut in between the studio vocals and what sounds like his live mic feed.
WYBT:here's the WYBT with vocals I was talking about:
those sound live to me, but I might have to take another listen to the audio again. I feel like this was either gonna be playback or entirely live.
Billie Jean: Hmm ya, I feel he could've sang this but I feel it would have sounded similar to the royal Brunei show. However, I also feel that he may have used playback on this one tho. he sang it live in the rehearsal in the film, but also I'm pretty sure all those early forum rehearsals were sang live so IDK
MITM: maybe a mix of playback and live as you said, live on the verses then the chorus' playback then fully live at the usual place

I feel like the june 18th-24th rehearsals would give us our best guess at the playback amount for the show, those days seemed to be his best days where the most songs were rehearsed in total. I don't remember the rehearsal schedule... Do you remember which days these rehearsals were:
gold sparkly pants/ HWT jacket day(date?)
shoulderpads jacket w/ mission lion shirt(date?)
orange pants/ silver jacket day(date?)
grey suit/ red shirt day (23rd)
bomber jacket w/ white shirt/ curls for my girls/ sweatpants (24th)
Those look like his last rehearsals

please correct any info I have if its wrong! I don't wanna be one of those people who says the wrong shit and doesn't accept alternate facts/ theories haha.

I said the chorus on the DWT rehearsals in Bad, is clearly playback
Some people definitely over complicate things and get certain things confused, I'm definitely an offender of this (lol), but ya, IDK where some people pull their definition of playback.

Dirty Diana: I am very unsure of Diana, and whether it was gonna be sung live or not. BC on the one hand it has always been live, but then again he hadn't sung it since 1988 (when it was dropped from the BWT setlist), unless he sang it in an early HWT rehearsal (when it was still on the setlist). You do make a good point however about his vocal power, because its a very powerful song especially on the chorus', buuuuut he also sang it quite different from the record on the BWT, so I'm not sure really (going in circles lol)
Beat it: I feel this would have been either playback until partway through the song or fully live. Your theory about live vocals on the first verse is interesting though. I wonder (going on a stretch here) if the reason the second verse was cut from the film was because the switch from live vocals to playback was too obvious (again just making a fan theory here, don't have real evidence behind it). But ya, I feel most likely is it would have been a mix of live/ playback.
Smooth Criminal: HMM ya this probably would have been a mix of the two, I feel like the chorus' would have been playback and the verses and other stuff live, listening to the center channel here too also proved that this was definitely rehearsed live to some degree, but his vocals cut out at the chorus' pretty consistently whereas the verses cut in between the studio vocals and what sounds like his live mic feed.
those sound live to me, but I might have to take another listen to the audio again. I feel like this was either gonna be playback or entirely live.
Billie Jean: Hmm ya, I feel he could've sang this but I feel it would have sounded similar to the royal Brunei show. However, I also feel that he may have used playback on this one tho. he sang it live in the rehearsal in the film, but also I'm pretty sure all those early forum rehearsals were sang live so IDK
MITM: maybe a mix of playback and live as you said, live on the verses then the chorus' playback then fully live at the usual place

I feel like the june 18th-24th rehearsals would give us our best guess at the playback amount for the show, those days seemed to be his best days where the most songs were rehearsed in total. I don't remember the rehearsal schedule... Do you remember which days these rehearsals were:

please correct any info I have if its wrong! I don't wanna be one of those people who says the wrong shit and doesn't accept alternate facts/ theories haha.
dude the audio of movie of Beat it is from a Victory Tour between vocals from the rehearsal.

I remember a rehearsal where he rehearsed beat it on TII, this was playback with ad-libs and other was a prove of playback, and another where he sangs Beat It fully live.

PD: in the video i dont understand a shit

dude the audio of movie of Beat it is from a Victory Tour between vocals from the rehearsal.

I remember a rehearsal where he rehearsed beat it on TII, this was playback with ad-libs and other was a prove of playback, and another where he sangs Beat It fully live.

I mean that makes literally no sense considerin the whole rehearsal was live but im now genuinely believing we HAVE to be talking about different videos so please send me a link and timestamp

FMJP

HideOuter Senior

Correct, in TII, Beat it used vocals from the Victory tour, however they also cut in vocals from Michaels live microphone feed from the rehearsals. As I stated, that was just a crazy fan theory of mine lol
I believe the playback you're referring to in the DWT rehearsals is the prerecorded backing vocals in songs like Jam, Smooth Criminal, IJCSLY and Bad?

If you have that amateur audio of Beat it, I'd be very curious to hear that.

You seem to have misunderstood what I was saying about beat it on the 23rd. I think the second verse was cut completely. Not as much as the movie did obviously (much like the difference from how twymmf was cut for the rehearsals compared to the movie. Like it was cut up a lot more in the movie).
Dirty Diana would've probably been a process of like DWT where some rehearsals were live and some were playback. If we only heard one and it was live, it wouldn't confirm it.
Also, no rehearsals of this is it, if they were to come out would give us an idea of the playback status cause michael was gonna talk about what he wanted to do on june 25th. Before then it would've probably been between dangerous and HIStory level of playback, more towards HIStory.
As for WYBT, I completely forgot about that beginning part. Like damn.
It was probably just a quick run-through of the song hence why only a few words came out, very quiet too. So not really probably even a performance rehearsal.

Clothes dates:
This is something I have studied intensively in 2018. Don't have exact dates for a couple but still got to pinpoint around the area. Im also adding one because I remember it took me so long and so much effort to figure out but I knew I could because after the circle speech micheal gives, kenny says "have a beautiful sunday" which would mean it was Saturday night

shoulderpads jacket w/ mission lion shirt (Between june 10th and 12th)
blue shirt day (June 13th)
gold sparkly pants/ HWT jacket day (around june 14th to 18th)
orange pants/ silver jacket day (around june 14th to 18th)

Correct, in TII, Beat it used vocals from the Victory tour, however they also cut in vocals from Michaels live microphone feed from the rehearsals. As I stated, that was just a crazy fan theory of mine lol
I believe the playback you're referring to in the DWT rehearsals is the prerecorded backing vocals in songs like Jam, Smooth Criminal, IJCSLY and Bad?

I'd like to hear it too because to my knowledge it was just the garage door video that surfaced of dirty diana and beat it and that is not a video you can make an argument over whether he sung live cause it was such bad quality

In the early rehearsals jam didnt are precorded the backing vocals.

Curiously in the final rehearsals have the backing vocals precorded but michael still sangs Jam.